Born in Manitowoc County, Clara Belitz Hipke was widely known for her activity in public health service and social work. In 1906, Hipke founded the Milwaukee Maternity and Dispensary Association. Hipke also lobbied Wisconsin State legislators in Madison for suffrage legislation and sponsored the Society for Care of the Sick, the forerunner of the Wisconsin Anti Tuberculosis Association. She was a charter member of the National Womens Party and is credited with the initiation of legislation in Wisconsin for the treatment of new-born infants with silver nitrate to prevent blindness. She is best known for her operation of a Mothercraft school in which mothers were schooled in the care of children. She was a life member of the Wisconsin League of Women Voters and at one time she was the recording secretary of the Macabees. Hipke also served as the health chairman of the Milwaukee Federation of Womens Clubs. The young Clara Belitz was married in 1890 to Gustave Hipke, MD, and, in 1901 they moved to Milwaukee. She had three sons and one daughter just two of her sons survived infancy. On November 20, 1947, the Milwaukee Maternity and Dispensary Association in partnership with the Marquette University School of Medicine established the Clara Hipke Memorial Fund to provide a modest endowment for the purchase of works related to womens health. Clara Belitz Hipke was born on August 27, 1868 and she died December 8, 1938.